Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A tale of boxes and burned burners

Hello!!

To say the last year has been nutso would be an understatement. Here's a recap: we had been planning a relocation. Our house was on the market for well over a year, which entailed frequent showings. If you've ever tried to sell your house with small children, I'm sure you can empathize. Suffice it to say more than a few bottles of wine were consumed in my house. In January 2013, we got an offer on our house which meant we had to address an inspection, appraisal, etc. and prepare to move to a new town...thus leaving my job, my son's school district, my daughter's daycare and all of our local friends. Also, we had to pack up our home, find a place to live and basically find a new everything...all the while, it seemed as though my husband was away on a work trip every day. As you can imagine, writing my blog fell to the bottom of my to-do list.

Unfortunately, we were unable to find "the" house before we moved, so we secured a rental house. I'll spare the details on the rental, but let's just say it was an "antique". Let your imagination roam...

Fortunately, 2 days after we moved we found "the" house (in the middle of a a snowstorm). A septic system, new mortgage and a month later we moved in!! Fast forward to today (a week after we closed) and things are starting to progress. We are not settled by any stretch...I think the packed boxes still outnumber the unpacked ones. I'm still in the process of looking for a new job and a new preschools/daycare for Adela. But, we are in the new house, I finally have cable, Internet and phone (after going 7 weeks without), and my kitchen is completely unpacked (and is oh-so-pretty).

Tonight, I decided to break in the kitchen and try a recipe for Cajun shrimp tacos from Cooking Light. Now, I'm not a "follow a recipe to a t" kind of gal, but I use a recipe more as a guideline.

What I did follow on the directions was to "char" the corn tortillas on the burner. I have a feeling this direction was meant for the lucky individuals who have a gas burner...since it left a bit of a mess on my electric burner. That combined with my dogs "accident" on the carpet in our TV room means we have already broken our house or truly moved in.


Ugh...either way we're starting to settle. I hope to be back to a regular schedule on my blog and to share recipes. I can say that I've definitely missed sharing my recipes and bits of life with you (and by "you" I mean the two of you who are reading this...probably my husband and mom ;) )

Until then, I'll be buried in boxes!!



No comments:

Post a Comment