Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bonus blog...fun grilled cheese!

When I started this blog, I had sort of set out to write alot about the foods I feed my kids. So far, I think most of my posts, however, have been foods that I either aren't giving them or they just aren't eating.

Tonight I decided to make a regular dinner (in most houses this would probably be a lunch, but whatever) more fun and thought I would blog it. I had leftover risotto so I resorted to a good old stanby for the kids...grilled cheese. I kow I said I was going to make real food a certain percentage of the time (did I really say 90%??) But I'm thinking that grilled cheese can squeeze into this category. I use whole grain bread, part skim mozzerella and add flax seeds in the middle. Flax seeds are full of omegas and lots of other good for you things. What exactly those things are, I'm not sure, but I know I'm supposed to incorporate them, so I do.

To make this dinner more fun, I let the kids pick out cookie cutters (they chose dog bones) to shape their grilled cheeses. I realize this means we will be wasting some of the grilled cheese. However, I happen to be a great grilled cheese scrap eater and quite honestly I throw away more food every night than I would care to admit. I rounded out the grilled cheese with avacado chunks, red pepper strips (cucumber for Bodie) and oranges. Bodie cleaned his plate (minus a few avacado) and Adela ate her oranges, an avacado chunk and 4 bites of grilled cheese. Ugh...someday I know she'll be back to the amazing eater she once was. In the meantime "Bone-appetit"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment